Win £100 in our first ‘Summer Stumpers’
Summer’s still here – just about – so we’re sparing you the usual guff about work and that. Instead, we’ve a series of devious quizzes. Some questions are pretty easy, whilst others are harder than the proverbial goat’s knee.
Anyway, send your answers here via email and we’ll pull a winner out of the hat and and send them £100 of John Lewis vouchers. Deadline for entries is Friday August 22nd at midday.
The following collections of letters are all names of UK top 150 law firms, but their vowels (and in some cases, spaces) have been removed. What are they?
6. ‘The power of the lawyer is in the uncertainty of the law.’
7. ‘Courage is when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.’
8. ‘Hiring me as your attorney, you’ll also receive this free smoking monkey.’
9. ‘An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.’
10. ‘The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.’
Which firms’ names are represented by these visual puns? (Warning: liberties have been taken.)
16. Which firm emerged from a chance encounter between two men in a Chicago cab?
17. Which firm’s reputation was made by advising Edward VIII during the abdication crisis?
18. Which founder is the great, great grand-uncle of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge – Dibb, Lupton, Allsop or Piper?
19. When Bird & Bird took its name in 1905, what was the relationship between the Birds – brothers, father and son, or cousins?
20. Finally, for which of these firms did Michelle Obama work: Sidley Austin, Ridley Mostyn, Diddly Boston?
The answers will be published in two weeks, along with more devious-cum-moronic questions.